„Om Sai Namo Namah
Shri Sai Namo Namah
Jai Jai Sai Namo Namah
Sadguru Sai Namo Namah.”
He is a very popular and beloved saint and is worshiped and adored by followers all over the world. He was worshiped by both his Muslim and Hindu devotees, and during, as well as after, his life it remained uncertain if he was a Muslim or a Hindu.
The name „Sai” was given to him on his arrival at Shirdi (in the Indian state of Maharashtra), where a local temple priest acknowledged him as a Muslim priest. The word „Sayi” or „Sai” is a Persian title given to Sufi saints whereas „Baba” is a term used to refer to„old man” or „father” in most Indian and Middle Eastern languages. Hence, the name Sai Baba was given to him.
Sai Baba philosophy ingrained „Shraddha”, which means „faith” and „Saburi” meaning compassion. According to Sai Baba, Saburi and Shraddha were the supreme attributes and traits to reach the state of godliness, divine consciousness.
He preached at Shirdi all his life and performed numerous healing miracles. Sai Baba provided material and moral comfort to his followers and also helped bring harmony and unity between all communities.
He is adored and worshiped by people around the world. Sai Baba had no love for perishable things and his sole concern was spirituality, inner balance, self-realization. Sai Baba taught a moral code of love, helping others, forgiveness, daily spiritual practice, charity, inner peace, emotional balance, contentment, less talking, and devotion to guru and God.
Sai Baba made 12 assurances to his followers:
- Whosoever puts their feet on Shirdi soil, their sufferings will come to an end.
- The wretched and miserable will rise to happiness, bliss and joy as soon as they climb the steps of Dwarakamayi.
- My tomb shall bless and speak to the needs of my followers.
- I shall be ever active and vigorous even after leaving this earthly body.
- My mortal remains will speak from my tomb.
- I shall be active and vigorous even from my tomb.
- There shall be no want in the house of my devotee.
- If you look at me, I look at you.
- If you cast your burden on me, I shall surely bear it.
- If you seek my help and advice, it shall be given to you at once.
- I am ever living to guide and help all who come to me, who surrender to me, and who seek refuge in me.
- If you take a step towards me, I will take 100 steps towards you.
Image source – YouTube