Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavantu meaning in English:
„May all beings everywhere be happy and free, and may the thoughts, words, and actions of my own life contribute in some way to that happiness and to that freedom for all.”
Despite the fact this pacifying mantra does not appear in any of the existent Vedic branches (Veda sakhas), it is a pure and sincere expression of the universal spirit that we find therein.
This mantra for peace and universal love is usually chanted near the closing of a meditation or a spiritual practice. Moreover, this Sanskrit chant is absorbed into one’s soul to be carried onward into their present life.
Also, it can be chanted daily as a reminder that we are connected to all sentient beings and our happiness is another and vice versa.
Translation on syllables:
- Lokah means – people or universe;
- Samastah means – all the living beings living in the same location;
- Sukhino means – completely free from suffering, centered in happiness;
- Bhav means – the higher state of unified existence or the divine mood;
- Antu means – may it be so, it must be so.
Full sloka lyrics in Sanskrit:
Svasti prajabhyam paripalayantham nyayeana margena mahim maheesah
Gobrahmanebhya shubamsthu nityam lokah samastha sukhino bhavanthu
May All Beings Be Happy and Free mantra translation in English:
- May there be well-being to the people;
- May the kings rule the earth along the right path;
- May the cattle and the Brahmins have well being forever;
- May all the beings in all the worlds become happy;
- Peace, peace, and peace, be everywhere!
Daily practice benefits:
Reciting Sanskrit mantras is the key to transcendence, for it offers us an opportunity to unite with the Higher Consciousness, to create the sacred vibrations which allow us to engineer our own present reality. Each authentic spiritual tradition contains its own sacred vibrations which act as keys or seeds to unlock the mind.
Therefore, if you have tried to calm your restless mind but nothing could keep you peaceful, reciting this mantra is an awesome method that will fade away the restlessness in less than an expected time. Unconditional love without desire for attachment and elimination of ego will ultimately lead to a perpetual state of love, bliss, peace, and happiness.
Furthermore, it is in the nature of the human mind to seek unlimited happiness and peace in every moment, through every thought, experience, and action. Experiencing these healing frequencies of this mantra is the only true way to understand its power.
Image source – bellofpeace.org